The girl was crawling into bed at the Guest House Inn and Suites in Aberdeen when the syringe pierced through the mattress and pricked her right heel.
Fox News reported that the needle was caked in dried blood.
The mattress also had plastic bags and bloody bandages underneath it.
“Our main concern is HIV disease and hepatitis B or C,” Emily’s mother, Angie Smith, told KOMO News.
“There were syringes, plastic bag, bloody bandage all underneath the mattress cover. We were really shocked and freaking out,” Smith later told ABC News.
The family was in Aberdeen for a fast-pitch tournament in which Emily was playing shortstop.
The hotel charged the family for the room despite the incident.
The hotel manager told ABC News that she did not have the authority to waive the charges and that the owner of the hotel was investigating.