1. Wait until the day before Christmas to get a tree--they're usually free by then.
2. Save electricity by hanging, not lights, but just one light.
3. Wrap all your gifts in the Sunday comics and use rinsed, recycled plastic wrap for bows.
4. "Holiday letter?" You mean, "holiday mass e-mail." (No cards, no postage.)
5. For out-of-town relatives, blame your gift package's absence on that darned postal service.
6. Buy all your gifts at dollar stores.
7. Instead of buying gifts, give everyone on your list a card that says you've made a donation in their name to The Human Fund.
--Sara Beitia, who would never do any of these things (especially no. 6)