News » Citydesk

Thousands Attend Funeral of Slain Coeur d'Alene Police Officer


Sergeant Gregory Moore
  • Sergeant Gregory Moore
A funeral on May 9 at the Lake City High School in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, brought thousands of people together to mourn the death of Coeur d'Alene police Sergeant Gregory Moore, 43, who was shot while on duty.

Moore, a 16-year veteran of the Coeur d'Alene Police Department, was shot early the morning of May 5 after making a traffic stop for what he called a "suspicious person." As he was calling in information on Jonathan Renfro, 26, Renfro shot Moore and stole his patrol car, which led to a high-speed chase that ended near a Wal-Mart in Post Falls, Idaho. Renfro is being held on $2 million bail.

Thousands of friends, family and law enforcement crowded into and around the school's gymnasium Saturday morning, according to The Spokesman-Review. Police officers came as far as Los Angeles and Chicago, as well as all from across the Northwest to honor their fallen colleague. 

Those delegations included state troopers, sheriff's deputies, tribal and college campus police, U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents, members of the U.S. Forest Service, state corrections officers, rural fire departments personnel, ambulance crews, and motorcycle clubs made up of current and retired law enforcement officers.

A group of Boise Police officers attended the service as well.

"He was not satisfied sitting at a desk," Coeur d'Alene Police Chief Lee White told the crowd. "In the end, and the reason that we are here today, is that he personified the oath that we take when we raise our hands and are sworn in."

The Spokesman Review reported the service included 100 Patriot Guard Riders holding American flags in front of the school, an honor guard, and a bagpipe and drum band with members from the Coeur d'Alene and Spokane County fire department as well as police officers from Seattle, Wash.

Those who couldn't fit into the gymnasium, watched from overflow rooms at the high school and other areas around town where the ceremony was broadcast live.

Moore is survived by his wife, Lindy, and their 1-year-old daughter, Gemma, and his 12-year-old son Dylon and former wife, Jennifer Brumley. 

"Whenever I look at Lindy or think of Dylon and Gemma," White said to the mourners, pausing to wipe his eyes, "the stark reality of the loss hits me. I was able to go home to my family on Tuesday night, hug my children, kiss my wife. I realize that Dylon and Gemma and Lindy will not be able to do that for Greg."

The service lasted two hours, and then Moore was taken to the Forest Cemetery, accompanied by a line of emergency vehicles that stretched for miles.

On May 7, after Moore succumbed to his injuries, Kootenai County prosecutors filed an amended complaint of first-degree murder against Renfro, who was initially charged with attempted murder after the Tuesday morning shooting.