News » Citydesk

UPDATE: Say Goodbye (and Hello) to the Fowler House, Boise Landmark Since 1894

by

The Fowler House, built in 1894, rolled through the streets of Boise from one home to another in the early morning hours of August 4. - PRESERVATION IDAHO
  • Preservation Idaho
  • The Fowler House, built in 1894, rolled through the streets of Boise from one home to another in the early morning hours of August 4.
UPDATE: August 4, 2015

PRESERVATION IDAHO
  • Preservation Idaho


A bit of history rolled through the City of Boise early this morning. The Fowler House, built at 413 S. 5th Street in 1894 for Boise jeweler Edmund Fowler and wife Sophia, slowly rolled to its new home near Fort and 11th streets, just north of the Cathedral of the Rockies. 

The massive moving project began at 11 p.m. Monday evening, with crews taking down select power lines and disarming some traffic signals.

But sunrise the Fowler House was in place at its new location and new owners, Josh Unger and Jenaleigh Keibert now have the task of bringing the structure back to life which will serve as their new home.





ORIGINAL POST:
August 3, 2015

PRESERVATION IDAHO
  • Preservation Idaho
It has been a long journey to save the Fowler House, built in 1894 at 413 S. Fifth St. for Boise jeweler Edmund Fowler and his wife, Sophia. There's one more journey left—its most difficult yet—set for midnight tonight.

Boise's Central Addition is a ghost of what it once was—one of the most prestigious neighborhoods in Boise. Historic homes fell victim to vandalism, fire, the wrecking ball and sometimes all three. But when California-based developer LocalConstruct proposed a six-story, 160-unit residential/commercial complex, framed by Myrtle, Broad, Fifth and Sixth streets, it also stepped in to help save many of the historic homes.

Many of the buildings, built between 1890 and 1920, would need to be displaced. As a result, the company identified new owners for some of the homes and footed a large part of the bill to help move them to new locales.

Boise Weekly was there in the early morning hours of July 1 when the Jones House rolled away from the Central Addition to its new home on Reserve Street.

Now it's the Fowler House's turn. New owners Josh Unger and his significant other, Jenaleigh Kiebert (he's a computer engineer, she's a librarian at the Idaho State Archives), are preparing for a long night's journey into day when movers start rolling the Fowler House to its new location on N. 11th St., just north of the Cathedral of the Rockies.

PRESERVATION IDAHO
  • Preservation Idaho