- Bingo Barnes
- President Donald Trump is being called an outright liar... again. The Washington Post reports critics are taking Trump to task for his assertions that previous presidents didn't contact families of American troops killed in the line of duty.
“If you look at President Obama and other presidents, most of them didn’t make calls," said Trump in a hastily-called press conference. "A lot of them didn’t make calls. I like to call when it’s appropriate, when I think I am able to do it.”
But when NBC White House correspondent Peter Alexander called Trump out on the statement, Trump deflected, saying, "I don't know. That's what I was told. All I can do is ask my generals."
One of the most pointed criticisms of Trump came, rather surprisingly, from San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich who called the president a "a soulless coward," adding that Trump was "unfit intellectually, emotionally and psychologically to hold this office."
Gregg Popovich slams Trump’s comments on slain soldiers https://t.co/3e8wewlZxO— Washington Post (@washingtonpost) October 17, 2017
- Sen. John McCain (R-Arizona) delivered remarks Monday to the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia where he cautioned against the U.S. turning toward "half-baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems." McCain, who was diagnosed this past July with an aggressive form of brain cancer, was honored with the center's Liberty Medal for his many years of service in the military and as a public servant.
- Idaho State Police are investigating a bizarre hit and run incident that partially blocked Interstate 84 near Meridian Monday night. ISP said a semi truck was rear-ended by a 2007 Mazda MZ2 on eastbound I-84 just after 10 p.m. Witnesses said the Mazda burst into flames but the driver fled on foot. Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 343-COPS. Meanwhile, the Ada County Coroner has identified the pedestrian who was struck and killed on Broadway Avenue in Boise Sunday evening. The victim was 75-year-old Robert Olinger of Boise. The coroner said Olinger died of blunt force trauma. According to Boise Police, the driver of the vehicle is cooperating with their investigation.
- Police in Florida say a 325-pound woman is charged with killing her 9-year-old counsin by sitting on the child as punishment. The Pensacola (Fla.) News Journal reports that 64-year-old Veronica Posey is charged with homicide and cruelty toward a child. Posey told police that she sat on the girl as discipline "for being out of control."
Pensacola child dies after 325-pound adult sat on her as punishment https://t.co/P1NfYzxkrI— PNJ (@pnj) October 17, 2017
- Nothing quite says Halloween like an inappropriate costume. HalloweenCostumes.com is being criticized for selling an "Anne Frank costume for girls," including a beret, brown satchel bag and blue dress pinned with a destination tag. "We can always learn from the struggles of history," read the ad. But Entertainment Weekly reports that HalloweenCostumes.com is also learning that it went a bit too far with its latest offer. The costume has since been pulled from the website, but EW reports that HalloweenCostumes.com is still offering a yellow-faced "Chinese Gentleman" and "Snake Charmer" with the snake coming out of of your pants.