- Bingo Barnes
- Retried four-star Marine general John Kelly takes over what The New York Times calls "probably the second-hardest job in Washington" today: chief of staff for President Donald Trump's White House. The Times says that Kelly's appointment comes after a "punishing and self-inflicted series of setbacks." Meanwhile, President Donald Trump wasted no time in starting yet another week on Twitter, insisting that there is no chaos at the White House.
Highest Stock Market EVER, best economic numbers in years, unemployment lowest in 17 years, wages raising, border secure, S.C.: No WH chaos!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 31, 2017
- Courtesy: Boise Fire Department
- The Boise Fire Department is nearly always busy but this past Saturday morning was particularly hectic. Things began at 2:30 a.m. when BFD responded to a house fire on Hillway Drive. The fire sparked in a pick-up camper and spread to to a nearby home. While firefighters were on the scene they were also summoned at 3:20 a.m. to rescue an intoxicated man stuck in a confined space. He had somehow crawled into a vertical corrugated pipe sticking out of the ground and ended up underwater about 10 to 15 feet below the pipe's opening. Someone heard the man's screams for help and called 911. Shortly thereafter, BFD rescued a couple who decided to go for a pre-dawn swim in cold, swift water downstream of the Willow Lane Sports Complex. The man and woman were shaken up and very cold, but emergency responders said the victims were fine and didn't require hospitalization.
- A Critical Incident Task Force is investigating the shooting death of an Owyhee County man. Owyhee County Sheriff's deputies conducted a welfare check on the home of 48-year-old Dennis Robinson in the late night hours of July 28. But Idaho State Police said Robinson jumped into his vehicle and led them on a high-speed chase into the Owyhee Mountains. ISP said Robinson fired a weapon at police before law enforcement officers shot and killed him.
- The Los Angeles Times reports that Netflix has never been more popular, boasting more than 100 million subscribers worldwide. But Netflix has also never been deeper in the red. According to the Times, Netflix has accumulated more than $20.5 billion in long- and short-term debt, and is forecast to increase that debt by more than $2 billion this year.
- The New York Times reports that Dunkirk earned another $29.1 million at the North American box office this past weekend, keeping it atop the list of the weekend's most popular movies.
- Legendary French cinema star Jeanne Moreau has died at the age of 89. Her long list of classic performances include appearances in Jules and Jim, Seven Days...Seven Nights, Viva Maria! and The Old Lady Who Walked in the Sea. In 1965, Time Magazine put Moreau on its cover, quite rare for a foreign actress. Orson Welles once called Moreau "the greatest actress in the world." Variety reports that the mayor of the Paris district in which Moreau lived confirmed her death. French President Emmanuel Macron called Moreau, "a legend of cinema and theater."