- In an unprecedented blow to the First Amendment, the Trump White House banned a journalist, serving as a pool reporter to represent the major television networks, from covering a public ceremony in the White House Rose Garden. Administration officials said CNN correspondent Kaitlan Collins was being punished for asking "inappropriate" questions about Trump's former attorney Michael Cohen. The barring of the journalist drew immediate rebuke from news organization around the world.
The White House banned Kaitlan Collins, a White House reporter for CNN, from a press event after Collins asked President Trump questions at an Oval Office photo op https://t.co/7QN8CoZ7sp pic.twitter.com/hWspq7W1yy— CNN (@CNN) July 25, 2018
- Motorists traveling to and from McCall will need a lot more patience today. A pilot vehicle is guiding traffic across a stretch of State Highway 55 north of Horseshoe Bend due to complications from the Highway 55 fire. So far, the blaze has scored more than 1,000 acres between Gardena and Smith's Ferry. Additional crews and equipment have been ordered to the scene of the fire which grew in size overnight. No word yet on the cause.
- Idaho State Police investigators say a truck driver's "Inattention" is to blame for a June 16 seven-vehicle crash which claimed four lives on Interstate 84 near the Cloverdale overpass. The Idaho Press-Tribune reports that investigators don't know what might have distracted the driver before he struck a vehicle from behind, leading to a chain reaction of fiery crashes.
- The local chapter of the American Red Cross is concerned about how the region's blood supply is again facing a summertime shortage. So, beginning Monday, July 30, The Red Cross will give a $5 Amazon gift card to anyone who donates blood. The special thank you gifts will continue to be distributed through Thursday, Aug. 30.
- With only 37 days before the Boise State Broncos kick off another college football season, BSU has once again been selected as the favorite to win the Mountain West conference. At this week's Mountain West Football Media Summit in Las Vegas, the Broncos earned all 22 first-place vote in a preseason media poll.
- Science magazine reports that researchers working with the European Space Agency have discovered the existence of a 12.5-mile-wide lake just beneath a layer of ice at Mars's south pole. Until now, standing water had never been spotted on Mars.
- Burberry, manufacturer of some of the best coats in the world, is coming under fire for reportedly burning $38 million worth of unsold clothing and beauty products. The BBC reports that Burberry's annual report indicates that company officials decided to destroy the clothing, instead of putting it on sale or donating it to charity, to protect its brand.
Burberry burns bags, clothes and perfume worth millions https://t.co/z6pfpdZIgq— BBC Business (@BBCBusiness) July 19, 2018