- A wave of condemnation came from both sides of the political aisle Monday in the wake of President Trump's rebuke of the U.S. intelligence community and his embrace of Russian President Vladimir Putin's point of view. Following Trump's summit with Putin, reporters repeatedly asked the U.S. President about proof that Russia had indeed meddled in the 2016 presidential election, Trump responded, "Please get this rubbish out of your heads." The Associated Press reports that Republican U.S. senators' criticism of Trump included words ranging from "bizarre," to "shameful," to "disgraceful."
- Meanwhile, the infamous Baby Trump blimp appears to be heading for America. Following its debut in London when Trump visited the U.K. last week, NBC News reports that a GoFundMe page was launched to help fund the balloon's journey to the U.S. The fundraiser met its $4,500 goal within 22 hours. Protesters want to fly the blimp at the Trump National Golf Club in New Jersey.
- The region's BLM firefighters were incredibly busy Monday night, responding to at least eight wildfires triggered by lightning. The largest was the Easy White Fire, southeast of Bruneau, which scorched more than 5,300 acres. Other large-scale wildfires were reported near the Duck Valley Indian Reservation, southeast of Juniper Mountain and ten miles southeast of Mountain Home.
'Trump Baby' protest blimp is coming to America - NBC News https://t.co/KxvrQnniJX— Gregory McCray (@g_mccray) July 17, 2018
- Is the heat slowing you down? It's no surprise that intense heat waves can wreak havoc on the human body. But NPR reports that new research suggests heat can do a real number of the brain as well. The study claims heat stress can muddle our thinking, even making simple math harder to do.
- Washington Nationals baseball superstar Bryce Harper wowed his hometown crowd last night, winning the annual Home Run Derby as part of the Major League Baseball All-Star Game festivities. ESPN says Harper pounded 19 homers out of Nationals Park.
- RBG, the documentary on Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg, is the sleeper hit of 2018 at the North American box office this summer. And the love for the notorious RBG will just keep coming later this year with the release of On the Basis of Sex, starring Felicity Jones as a much-younger Ginsberg. The story chronicles Ginsberg's early life as an aspiring game-changer for gender politics in the United States. The film will open in December, just in time for Oscar season. An early preview burned up the internet last night: