- Yumi Kimura, CC by 2.0
Among specific categories of crimes that saw significant increases were:
- Prostitution, up 36.67 percent
- Pornography, up 12.04 percent
- Drug/narcotics incidents, up 11.77 percent
- Robbery, up 4.15 percent
- Embezzlement, up 4.11 percent.
Among specific categories of crimes that saw significant decreases were:
- Extortion, down 54.84 percent
- Gambling, down 50 percent
- Sexual (non-forcible), down 21.09 percent
- Homicide, down 13.73 percent
- Burglary, down 8.98 percent
Statewide, there were 51 reports of hate crime incidents in 2017, a nearly 16 percent jump from the previous year. ISP said 20 of the hate crime incidents were simple assaults, followed by destruction of property (11 incidents) and intimidation (8 incidents). Fifteen of the incidents targeted African-Americans, and nine targeted Muslims.
In Ada County, the overall number of crime incidents increased 1.4 percent in 2017, but the number of arrests dropped nearly 4 percent. In the City of Boise, arrests were down nearly 8 percent. Arrests dropped nearly 6 percent in Garden City. But arrests in Meridian increased by more than 7 percent in 2017. The Ada County Sheriff's Office reported a 2.8 percent drop in arrests.
The full report is available by clicking here.