- Bingo Barnes
- President Trump will stand before a joint session of Congress this evening to deliver a nationally televised State of the Union address. The White House has announced that 13 special guests will join Trump and his wife Melania at the Capitol this evening. Vanity Fair reports that Democrats have a long list of their own invitees to the State of the Union tonight, including former and current undocumented immigrants who either worked at a Trump golf resort or as Trump's housekeeper, parents of victims of the Parkland mass shooting, climate change advocates, a trans soldier impacted by Trump's blanket ban on transgender troops and federal employees who organized rallies during the partial government shutdown.
Democrats are trolling Trump with their State of the Union guests. https://t.co/vFjE04e9BB— VANITY FAIR (@VanityFair) February 5, 2019
- Treasure Valley commuters had to navigate difficult driving conditions this morning as freezing rain and snow returned the region, coating many roadways with black ice. The National Weather Service office in Boise says the snow will be on-again-off-again through the rest of the day, but sunshine returns to the forecast by Thursday.
- Reuters reports scientists are warning that rising temperatures in the region of the Himalayas, home to most of the planet's tallest mountains, will melt at least one-third of its glaciers by 2100.
- The journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences reported Monday that while new research indicates age negatively impacts all brains, women's brains remain relatively youthful (metabolically speaking) as compared to men's over time.
- Time magazine says statistics from 2018 reveal that Chicago's O'Hare International is again the nation's busiest airport, followed by Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, Los Angeles International Airport, Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport and Denver International Airport.
- It's no secret that music legend Willie Nelson is a fan of weed. So it shouldn't come as a big shock that Nelson is now debuting a new line of CBD products. Forbes magazine says his first product is Willie's Remedy Whole Bean Coffee.
- Yesterday was the year's most exclusive luncheon in Hollywood, the annual sit-down of nominees for the 91st-annual Academy Awards. You name them, they were there: Alfonso Cuaron, Spike Lee, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams and first-time nominees Lady Gaga and Rami Malek. During the luncheon, the show's producers warned the nominees that this year's ceremony will have a new guideline: Rather than limiting speeches to the traditional 45 seconds, winners will have a total of 90 seconds to get from their seat to the podium and give their speech. The most important piece of business, though, was for all of the nominees to sit for this year's "class picture."