- Bingo Barnes
- President Donald Trump got a bit of push back from Congress, including from some Republican members, on Tuesday when he embraced the idea of a government shutdown if a spending deal can't be reached in the coming days. The New York Times reports that Trump said, "I'd love to see a shutdown."
President Trump called on Tuesday for shutting down the federal government if Congress does not crack down on illegal immigration https://t.co/xRs3mWNXqt— The New York Times (@nytimes) February 7, 2018
- The latest frat house to come under fire is at Cornell University, where the Zeta Beta Tau fraternity is on probation for a so-called "pig roast" sex contest. USA Today reports that a university investigation found the fraternity held a contest where new members were encouraged to accumulate points by sleeping with women. If members tied, the winner was chosen by whoever had sex with a woman who weighed the most. The fraternity's suspension comes after multiple reports of misconduct in 2017 leveled against the organization.
- Jeremy Lanningham
- Rep. Paulette Jordan (D-Plummer) announced early today that she would step down from her seat in the Idaho House to concentrate full-time on her gubernatorial campaign.
"I cannot fairly serve my constituents and run for governor, therefore I am stepping down from my legislative seat," said Jordan in a prepared statement. "This is necessary to win the Democratic primary and to move toward victory in November. I’m all in for Idaho.”
- Food & Wine magazine reports that OpenTable.com is out with its list of "100 Most Romantic Restaurants in America for 2018," in time for Valentine's Day. And while there are scores of favorite Gem State dining places, OpenTable is singling out Chandler's Restaurant in Boise among the top 100 in the U.S. The survey was based on an analysis of 12,000,000 reviews of more than 26,000 restaurants across the nation.
- Africa will make Olympic history this year when three Nigerian women compete in the bobsled event, the first such team from the continent. CNN reports that Seun Adigun, Ngozi Onwumere and Akuoma Omeoga are the force behind the team. They all have one more thing in common: they're champion track and field stars.
- The reviews are starting to come in for the much-anticipated Black Panther superhero film, which has already racked up a 100 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes. "There are vistas, costumes and settings that keep the images popping off the screen," says Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter. Marc Bernardin of Nerdist.com writes that the film takes every chance "to fill every corner of their fictional Wakanda with the same level of craft and detail usually reserved for British-star-studded period pieces." And Peter Travers of Rolling Stone calls the film "an epic that doesn't walk, talk or kick ass like any other Marvel movie," adding that it's "an exhilarating triumph."