- Bingo Barnes
- Michael Flynn, former national security adviser to President Donald Trump, was charged early today with lying to the FBI about a conversation Flynn had with a Russian ambassador days before Trump took office. The New York Times reports that a plea deal indicates Flynn will plead guilty. It's widely believed Flynn was not charged with a number of other possible crimes because he is cooperating with federal prosecutors in their continued probe into White House ties to the Russians.
The plea is the latest indication that Flynn is cooperating with the special counsel's investigationhttps://t.co/izjNNdyuhK— The New York Times (@nytimes) December 1, 2017
- ABC late-night host Jimmy Kimmel is ready to tangle with Roy Moore, the controversial GOP senate candidate accused of molesting girls as young as 14. Moore and Kimmel traded barbs on Twitter Thursday with Moore writing, "If you want to mock our Christian values, come down here to Alabama and do it man to man." Kimmel responded, “If you’re open to it, when we sit down, I will share with you what I learned at my church. At my church, forcing yourself on underage girls is a no-no. Some even consider it to be a sin. When you commit a sin at our church, at our church, we’re encouraged to confess and ask for forgiveness for the sin. Not to call the women you allegedly victimized liars and damage them even more.” Kimmel continued, "There is no one I would love to fight more than you. So if you are challenging me to a fight, here's what we'll do. Let's find a place to do it. I'll wear a Girl Scout uniform so you can have something to get excited about."
- A passenger aboard a Greyhound bus from Portland, Oregon, to Boise on Nov. 29 told KTVB his bus ride was particularly harrowing after the driver was attacked by a passenger who reportedly broke through a plastic divider intended to shield the driver. Witnesses said the suspect cut the driver with a knife, punched him and ordered him to pull the bus over. Another passenger tried to intervene but was also cut. The attacker ran from the bus but was eventually caught by police. Robert Vasquez is charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and 28 counts of reckless endangerment. The driver and his would-be rescuer were treated at a local hospital and released.
- The West Ada School District, which has had varying success in asking voters to approve additional school funding, will put another bond and supplemental levy on the ballot for the March 13, 2018 election. The bond, totaling $95 million, would help fund construction of two new schools and upgrades at other schools. The two-year supplemental levy of $14 million per year would maintain current programs and operations withing the district.
- Some great independent films are getting love in the form of early award season prizes, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The Gotham Awards bestowed its best actor award to James Franco for his off-the-chain performance in The Disaster Artist. The New York Film Critics Circle gave its best actor prize to Timothee Chalamet for his breakout performance in Call Me By Your Name. And Saoirse Ronan has been awarded the Best Actress prize from both the Gothams and the New York Film Critics Circle for her starring role in Lady Bird (FYI, Ronan is guest-hosting SNL tomorrow, Dec. 2). The Los Angeles Film Critics Association will reveal its choices Sunday, Dec. 3. The Golden Globe nominations come out Monday, Dec. 11 and the Oscar nominations will be announced Tuesday, Jan. 23, 2018.