News » Citydesk

Chris McIntire Pushes Back on Michael Casper Story

"OK, you want to know what happened? I'll tell you."


Michael Casper, 26, was killed by police in the early morning hours of Feb. 16.

The death of 26-year-old Michael Casper was cause for much sorrow, but it also raised a host of questions and theories related to the circumstances of his shooting by a Boise police officer in the early morning hours of Feb. 16.

At the center of many of those questions and theories is Chris McIntire, who was with Casper the night he died and was the last person to see him alive.

McIntire has gone back and forth with his desire to talk about the events of that night, which reportedly included windows being broken out of a duplex and Casper allegedly pointing a gun at a police officer.

Following the shooting, McIntire posted a note on his Facebook page: "If anyone has questions ... please contact me," he wrote. But when Boise Weekly first asked McIntire for details, he said he wasn't comfortable talking about what happened. After a BW report on the incident, which included some of the fallout among friends and family, and McIntire's reluctance to provide his version of the events (BW, News, "The Life and Mysterious Death of Michael Casper," Feb. 25, 2015), he took Boise Weekly to task.

"OK, you want to know what happened? I'll tell you," McIntire said in a phone interview.

McIntire would only talk on his own terms, though. When BW asked for clarification on some of his statements, McIntire refused to answer, except to say he and Casper went "to go shoot some pool, have a few drinks and unwind," at a nearby bar.

"After about a pitcher-and-a-half of beer, [Casper] started to act like somebody I hadn't seen before," McIntire said, "I did not feel comfortable as his friend and I thought it was better that I would leave." McIntire said he told Casper that he was going home to talk to his girlfriend. "I left his home at 12:55 a.m."

McIntire said he went to work the next day and didn't learn about his friend's death until the following evening. He was in no mood to answer BW's questions, but law enforcement didn't give him that option.

"Look, investigators and detectives have even gone through my phone, looking at text messages," McIntire said.

Because the investigation is ongoing, police won't comment on any of the details.