Caldwell Fine Arts Presents Mame
When we think of the flash and spectacle of the golden age of Broadway theater, Mame is definitely one musical that comes to mind.
Mame is a product of evolution. Based on the play, Auntie Mame, which is based on the Patrick Dennis novel of the same name, the play follows the flamboyant, turbulent but always interesting life of Mame. Part socialite, stock marketeer, carpetbagger, newlywed, widow, matchmaker and all eyebrow-raiser, Mame's story is one of an optimistic, open and ageless lady as she navigates the ups and down of her life.
This is such a big deal, Caldwell Fine Arts had to present this musical spectacle at the high school's auditorium. CFA has done great things for the arts in Caldwell for many seasons now, but this event marks the first time a Broadway production has been performed in Caldwell.
Take advantage of the opportunity to see a great show and come support CFA, too.
7:30 p.m. $25-$30 general, $21-$26 students. Caldwell High School Auditorium, Caldwell High School, Caldwell. More information at www.caldwellfinearts.org.
Friday 4-Sunday 6
The 55th Annual BBSRA Ski Swap
Winter is on its way, but hey, it's not all bad. The wait is almost over for all you powder hounds and the annual Bogus Basin Ski Racing Alliance Ski Swap will help you dump your old equipment and gear up with something new.
The concept is pretty simple and has been working for over half a century: You bring your used snow sport equipment down to the Western Idaho Fairgrounds and check it in. (Check-in times are Thursday from 3 p.m.-9 p.m., Friday from 10 a.m.-10 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.) If it sells, then BBSRA takes its 25 percent cut and they mail you a check by December 5 for the other 75 percent. If your stuff doesn't sell, it needs to be picked up from 3-5 p.m. on Sunday. They won't hold it after five. (Selling old equipment: 100 bucks. Cleaning out your garage: priceless.)
If you're in the market to buy, not sell, there's going to be some 25,000 items of new and used ski, snowboard and cross country equipment and clothing. Obviously, early birds will get the best worms at this event.
Fri. 5-10 p.m., Sat. 10 a.m.-8 p.m. and Sun. 10 a.m.-3 p.m. $3 admission, kids 11 and under FREE. Western Idaho Fairgrounds, 5610 Glenwood, Garden City, 376-3247. More information at www.bbsra.com/swap.
City of Trees Marathon
This USATF certified and sanctioned marathon is aptly named. Participants will get the running tour of our fair city, beginning and ending at the Owyhee Plaza Hotel with a race route taking them down historic and lovely Warm Springs Avenue and Harrison Boulevard, around several parks, across the Boise River and by the Train Depot and down Capitol.
Get out your winter coat, grab a thermos full of hot chocolate and come watch these athletes compete for $850 in cash prizes ($500 for first, $250 for second and $100 for third).
This race isn't about a purse. It's a chance for runners (and let's not forget those race route volunteers who make the race possible) to do what they love to do while raising money for a good cause. Money raised benefits Operation Warm Heart, an organization that supports members of the military and their families.
8 a.m. $65 entrance fee. Beginning and ending at the Owyhee Plaza Hotel, 1109 Main St. For more information about this race or the kids marathon on Saturday, visit www.cityoftreesmarathon.com.
Kelly Jones Reading at the Cabin
Boise should be proud of Kelly Jones. The first-time novelist not only recently published her book, The Seventh Unicorn, but it was by Berkeley Books, a Penguin imprint, and it has already been translated into eight languages. Pretty damned impressive.
This Tuesday, you'll have the chance to see what the hubbub's about, when Jones gives a reading from the book at the Log Cabin Literary Center. The novel's story, kind of a Da Vinci Code-esque art whodunit, is set in modern-day France and inspired by the six-piece medieval tapestry set, "The Lady And The Unicorn" (the same tapestry set featured in Tracy "Girl With a Pearl Earring" Chevalier's 2003 release, The Lady and the Unicorn).
At the reading, Jones will also donate a Spanish language version of her novel to the Boise Public Library.
7 p.m. $4 members, $6 non-members, 331-8000, Log Cabin Literary Center, 801 S. Capitol Blvd., www.logcablit.org.