Best Reason for Food Safety

The Boise Co-op salmonella mess

Staff Pick

On or before June 1, salmonella was introduced to the deli at the Boise Co-op, and by the time the nausea cleared, thousands of people had been exposed to the bacteria. Ultimately, the Central District Health Department confirmed almost 300 cases. Experts ranked it as one of the largest foodborne illness epidemics in Idaho history, and it couldn't have come at a worse time for the popular North End grocer, which was conducting an investment drive and preparing to open a second location in the Village at Meridian. Despite a class-action lawsuit, the Co-op received an outpouring of support from its customer base and remains on track to open a new store in Meridian. Kudos to the Co-op for getting in front of the "gastr-astrophe" with a deep clean of the deli, rigorous training protocols and the willingness to make it right. Maybe that's why Boise (and Boise Weekly) love it so much.

More Categories

More Categories

Introductions to the year's Best of Boise

BOB Public Eye

BOB Arts & Entertainment

BOB Goods & Services

BOB Sports & Recreation

BOB Bars & Nightlife

BOB Food and Dining