- Bingo Barnes
- President Donald Trump will visit areas of south Texas today where rainfall totals could top 50 inches by the end of the week. At least ten people have been killed due to widespread flooding, and more than 30,000 have taken refuge in shelters. The Washington Post reports that Trump's visits to Austin and Corpus Christi come one day after his pledging of federal resources to states affected by Hurricane Harvey. Today is also the 12th anniversary of when another catastrophic storm, Hurricane Katrina, made landfall and devastated New Orleans in August 2005.
Harvey takes aim at Louisiana as Trump plans to survey stricken Texas https://t.co/x0i803gudZ— Washington Post (@washingtonpost) August 29, 2017
- Flickr user Gage Skidmore, CC by 2.0
- Sen. Ted Cruz
- Meanwhile, the Post also reported that Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz is coming under fire for seeking emergency federal aid for his home state when he was among the first to reject federal aid for New Jersey victims of Hurricane Sandy in 2012.
"The problem with that particular (2012) bill is it became a $50 billion bill that was filled with unrelated pork," Cruz argued to NBC News. "Two-thirds of that bill had nothing to do with Sandy."
- The Elmore County Sheriff's office confirmed the body of a woman found in the trunk of her own car just one day after she went missing was that of 71-year-old Paula Ferbrache. The vehicle was discovered on a dirt road four miles northeast of Mountain Home. Ferbrache had last been seen August 26, working at a Mountain Home Walmart. KTVB reports that foul play is expected but the exact cause of death has not been released.
- The debut night of the 2017 U.S. Open had more drama than most tennis championship finals. Maria Sharapova, unseeded and returning to the game after a 15-month doping suspension, upset the No. 2 player in the world, Simona Halep, in 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 marathon that The New York Times called "electrifying." The usually unemotional Sharapova dropped to hands and knees and burst into tears after the match, something usually reserved for a championship.
- fanofbfolders CC 4.0