Arts & Culture » Arts News

Annual Spring Book Sale


Readers will find great bargains in early April at the 2005 Annual Spring Book Sale, conducted by the Friends of the Boise Public Library. The sale will be held in the warehouse behind the downtown library on April 1-3 at 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, and noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday (half-price day).

Most paperbacks will be priced at $.50, with hardcovers at $1.00 and all the books you can stuff in a bag for $9.00. Special books, book sets, records, tapes and CD's are individually priced. All proceeds benefit the Boise Public Library.

Special offerings this year include many collectible books, donated by a retired bookstore owner, and several hundred automotive repair manuals donated by a local car dealership.

A special preview sale for Friends of the Boise Public Library members is scheduled for Thursday, March 31 at 4 p.m. Nonmembers can join the Friends at the door; memberships start at $5.00.

Last year, the Friends organization raised almost $90,000 towards future branch collections. The money comes from annual spring and fall book sales, as well as the ongoing Friends Book Store at the downtown library. In preparation for the 2005 spring sale, volunteers sorted through about 75,000 items, roughly 80 percent donated by individuals and organizations. Most of the remaining 20 percent were materials retired from the library's collection.

The Friends of the Boise Public Library is a nonprofit volunteer organization founded to promote the interest and welfare of the library. To learn more about donating books or joining the Friends organization, call 384-4238, or visit the library web page at