Jabari was purchased by the city for $18,250 (including shipping) to replace Joseph the giraffe, who died unexpectedly at Zoo Boise in Mid-September.
Joseph was the second giraffe to die at Zoo Boise in two years, which prompted several online comments on BW's report hoping that a clear cause of death was established and addressed before a new giraffe was brought in.
However a necropsy on Joseph failed to establish a cause of death. Dr. M. Wayne Ayers, a veterinarian at the University of Idaho Cain Veterinary Center in Caldwell where Joseph's body was examined says he believes it could have been the result of Clostridium sordelli, a swift-acting toxin-producing bacteria, but that test results were inconclusive.
Steve Burns, director of Zoo Boise is out of the office until Monday and could not be reached for comment.
But in a press release he appeared unconcerned, saying "while we're really sad about the loss of Joseph, we are pleased that Julius has a companion and will not be alone through the winter."
Public feedings of Julius and Jabari will be held daily from 10:15-11 a.m.