: Dec. 8, 2014
One day after the report of a rape on the campus of Boise State University, Boise Police say criminal charges are pending the review of the case by Ada County prosecutors.
Boise Police said late Monday that the alleged suspect was not a Boise State student and that the suspect and alleged victim were attending the same part in a common area of a dormitory on campus just prior to the incident. The alleged rape occurred in a bathroom, according to police. Boise police also said in a statement that they had reason to believe that the attack was not random.
Meanwhile the victim is receiving services from the Boise Police Victim-Witness Unit whose members provide crisis intervention and support to witnesses and survivors of crime.
Police added that both the reporting party and alleged suspect were cooperating fully with the investigation.
: Dec. 7, 2014
The Boise Police Department is alerting the Boise State University community to a rape reported on campus near Chaffee Hall early Sunday morning.
The suspect is said to be a Hispanic male in his early 20s; approximately 5-foot-7-inches tall; 160 pounds; with short, dark hair.
Anyone with information is encouraged to contact Crime Stoppers at 208-343-2677, in person at the Capitol Village at 2245 University Drive, to campus security at 208-426-6911, or through Silent Witness
. In the event of an emergency, call emergency services at 911.
Students, staff and the BSU community are also being advised of the following safety tips:
- When you go out, go out in a group. Check in with peers throughout the night. Don't become isolated with someone you don't know or trust.
- Avoid going out alone at night.
- Be aware of your surroundings and the people around you. Avoid wearing headphones or earbuds.
- Perpetrators often target people who are intoxicated, and often use alcohol to facilitate assault. Never accept drinks that weren't poured in front of you, and keep beverages within sight at all times.
- Carry your cellphone in case of emergency.
- Report suspicious people and circumstances to campus security and police services.