: 2 p.m. Nov. 3, 2014
Courtesy Ada County Sheriff's Department
Anthony Bell, 25, is charged with possession of drug paraphernalia.
A Boise man was arrested and charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia shortly after he called 911 Monday morning, alerting authorities to a big warehouse fire that filled the skies with smoke near Main Street and Whitewater Boulevard.
Investigators said earlier that they were questioning someone about how the fire started. It turns out that the man was inside the warehouse just before the blaze erupted. He got out of the building safely and called 911.
Anthony Bell, 25, was booked into the Ada County lockup Monday afternoon on a misdemeanor charge of possessing drug paraphernalia.
Boise Police detectives, working with fire investigators, determined that the fire at the warehouse was an accident and no criminal charges would result in the fire.
The cause of the fire was listed as candles that Bell had been using inside the building because there was no power. Bell had told law enforcement that he was homeless and had fallen asleep inside the building and awoke surrounded by flames.
9:40 a.m. Nov. 3, 2014
Around 8:40 Monday morning, the storage warehouse on the corner of Boise's Main Street and Whitewater Boulevard across the street from the Main Street Auction caught fire.
Main Street Auction owner David Wesley Jr.
said the fire was apparently started by candles. The blaze engulfed the building, which housed furniture, motorcycles and other objects inside that have not yet been sold at the Main Auction.
The man got out of the warehouse safely, but was quite shaken from the incident.
Seven fire trucks poured water over the blaze this morning, working to contain it. Dozens of EMS including Ada County Paramedics and the Boise Police Department stayed on scene.
"Dude, this isn't even funny," Wesley said. "This is my third fire in five years. I don't get it."
A few years ago, the warehouse directly beside the Main Auction—now Eberlestock—caught on fire, slightly damaging the Main Auction's exterior.
"Never could find the cause of the fire, but we were very blessed to even be here still because the fire was so substantial that it took down that whole warehouse and it was a total loss," Wesley told Boise Weekly
back in April. "When that happened, the firefighters broke into the auction and stood ground, waiting for something to happen and it never did. We never caught on fire. The scariest part of the whole thing was, it was a Saturday morning and we were ready for the auction. It was about 4:30 in the morning. From the way that it looked, there was no auction. But it ended up that only the fiberglass up there was scorched real bad. That was the extent of the damage. The inventory was virtually untouched."
Wesley was not as fortunate with this fire—though the Main Auction itself is safe from the flames. While looking on as firefighters attempted to save his storage warehouse, Wesley's cellphone rang.
'What's up?" he said into the phone. "Just watching the flames, dude."