UPDATE: 3 p.m.
The Boise Fire Department reports that a man riding a gas powered moped-type scooter on 3 floors - 4,5 and 8 - of the 14-story One Capital Center is responsible for sickening up to 21 people Wednesday afternoon. The building houses several businesses, including executive offices of the Simplot Company.
21 people were being treated by Boise Firefighters and Ada County Paramedics for symptoms of low-level carbon monoxide poisoning.
Eleven of those overcome by fumes, including three pregnant women, were taken to nearby hospitals.
The man and the scooter were located and stopped by firefighters. It's a violation of the fire code to operate gas powered equipment inside a building.
Firefighters also worked through the afternoon to clear the building's air of carbon monoxide.
People experiencing symptoms were able to walk out of the building on their own.Who was this man who rode around on a scooter on three floors of a downtown office tower? That still remains a mystery, but late Wednesday, it was learned that the man reportedly worked for a business inside the building. No citations had been issued as of Wednesday evening.
ORIGINAL POST: 2 p.m.
More than a dozen downtown Boise workers were being treated for possible carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday after Boise firefighters said someone had reportedly left a gas-powered scooter running inside the building.
Emergency responders blocked off Tenth Street between Main and Grover streets Wednesday afternoon after a number of fire trucks and ambulances arrived on the scene, shortly after 1 p.m. A number of people in the building at One Capital Center at 999 W. Main Street complained of headaches and dizziness.
While firefighters worked with building maintenance to clear the building's air, a number of people were being treated for dizziness on the scene.