Times-News: Buhl Women Held as Sex Slave for 1.5 Years


Like a story straight out of an episode of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, one Buhl woman was repeatedly raped, beaten and held against her will for 18 months in a home that was boarded up and booby-trapped with electrical wire, according to Twin Falls County sheriff's detectives. 

The Times-News reported this morning that Oscar Ayala-Arizmendi, 36, was charged with felony rape, first-degree kidnapping, and possession of a controlled substance. His bail is set at $1 million.

Detectives found chains and locks mounted to the walls of Arizmendi's home, along with a large wood and metal gate that kept the woman trapped in his bedroom at night. The 27-year-old woman told detectives April 26 that Arizmendi beat and raped her multiple times. She said he kept her "drugged up on meth," making her smoke it once or twice a week while being held against her will. She said he often placed a rope around her neck and led her around the house "like a dog."

He boarded up the windows and doors of his home to keep her from escaping, and when she tried to escape, he beat her again. She told detectives he once held a pillow between her and a 9 mm handgun, threatening to shoot her.

She told detectives that at night, he would lock them both together in the bedroom and force her to use a wastebasket as a toilet at night.

The alleged victim escaped with the help of her brother after dark on April 8. On Tuesday, deputies served a search warrant at Arizmendi's home and saw him throw a glass pipe into a bathtub. The residue tested positive for meth.

Detectives found many chains and locks mounted to the walls and on the floor of several rooms, as well as a 9 mm handgun with a box of ammo. There was wood with bent nails holding heavy metal mesh in place, on metal hinges just inside the bedroom door. Detectives also found a trashcan with urine in it.

The home's exterior doors were rigged with chains and locks and an electrical wire system inside and outside the house. Detectives believe it was used to shock anyone who tried to escape. Several security cameras were mounted around the home, with monitors in Arizmendi's bedroom.

Arizmendi was arrested on Tuesday at his home. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for May 23.