Update: Halloween Decorations Blamed for Fire at Grove Hotel

by

UPDATE: 4:50 p.m.

Boise Fire officials confirm that combustible Halloween decorations left outside of an apartment on the 15th floor of the Grove Hotel caught fire and set off sprinklers.

The sprinklers and subsequent alarms sent scores of guests, employees and conventioneers out to the street. Even hockey players at the attached Century Link Arena were sent to the curb.

The responding engines and support trucks from the Boise Fire Department tangled rush-hour traffic at Capitol Boulevard and Grove Street. Guests were being let back into the Grove Hotel by 4:40 p.m., but residents of the building, who live on the 13th, 14th and 15th floors, were not being allowed back to their apartments. Fire officials told Citydesk that water damage on the floors was the next challenge.



Boise Fire Department trucks and crews responded to reports of a fire on the 15th floor of the Grove Hotel just after 4 p.m. today.

Seven fire trucks, including two ladder trucks, joined three support vehicles outside downtown Boise's Grove Hotel at the corner of Capitol Boulevard and Front Street. Just as rush-hour traffic began to pick up, each street had a lane blocked off as firefighters rushed inside the building.

Hundreds of people in the building were evacuated and stood in Grove Plaza and along the sidewalks.

Boise Fire Chief Dennis Doan and Boise Police Department sent out messages on Twitter to report firefighters had found smoke but no fire.



Just before 4:30 p.m., both sent tweets which said burning incense had been the cause of the fire and that sprinklers had gone off on three of the high-rise's floors.


[ Video is no longer available. ]