by Andrew Crisp
History does indeed repeat itself. In the 1970s, the Boise Public Library moved into its current location on Capitol Boulevard after outgrowing the Carnegie Public Library at 815 Washington St. and before the famous exclamation point.
But now the Library! faces a new dilemma: expanding once more to accommodate a population greater than 200,000. A 2001 study concluded the city would need an 185,000-square-foot facility by 2020—and that could cost as much as $118 million.
In the first installment of a new video series called One Block at a Time, Boise Weekly looks at the history of the steel tycoon-funded Carnegie library, and at the future of the city's library service.
Every month, BW will investigate a portion of the city to dish on past, present and possible futures. This story of Boise's library service began at City Hall in 1895. Check the video below to find out how far it's come.