Envisioning a $12 million three-story facility with two levels of public parking, storage and public showers for cyclists, a police substation and up to 25,000 square feet of office space, Valley Regional Transit has picked its spot for a proposed Multimodal Transportation Center for Downtown Boise: a half-block of 11th Street between Idaho and Bannock streets.
CCDC has committed $2.4 million in local matching funds, with the remainder of the project funded through a federal grant.
The so-called MMC would be expected to become a hub for transit growth in the Treasure Valley. VRT's Valley Connect regional pubic transportation plan includes a proposal to add up to 40 additional bus routes. The MMC could also serve as a hub for for commuter rail or streetcars.
Here's the proposed timetable:
- Property appraisal: Sept.-Nov. 2011
- Public Open House: Jan. 2012
- Submit conditional use permit: Jan.-Feb. 2012
- Planning and Zoning and Design Review hearings: Mar.-Apr. 2012
- Construction starts: Spring 2013
- Construction completed: Spring 2014