Arts » Stage

The Vagina Monologues at Boise State

by

comment

For any Vagina Monologues virgins out there who think this oft-produced off-Broadway play is a feel-good ride through vulvaville, hold onto your panties. The play, which includes a rotating assemblage of one-woman acts, is not for the faint of crotch, with titles like: "My Angry Vagina," "Reclaiming Cunt" and the highly controversial "The Little Coochie Snorcher That Could." While each monologue in the show relates to the vagina--whether through birth, sex, menstruation, love, rape or genital mutilation--the focus, said playwright Eve Ensler in an interview with women.com, is on the vagina as a symbol of sexual repression.

"I was drawn to vaginas because of my own personal history, because of sexuality, because women's empowerment is deeply connected to their sexuality. And I'm obsessed with women being violated and raped and with incest. All of these things are deeply connected to our vaginas," said Ensler.

After The Vagina Monologues had a successful run at the off-Broadway Westside Theatre in New York City, it quickly gained a considerable following, culminating in a performance at Madison Square Garden in 2001 featuring celebs like Calista Flockhart, Jane Fonda, Melissa Ethridge and Oprah Winfrey.

Also, Ensler started putting her celebrity power to good use in 1998, when she launched V-Day, a nonprofit that supports women's anti-violence groups by staging performances of The Vagina Monologues across the world. In 2009 alone, more than 5,200 V-Day benefits were produced by volunteers and college students around the world.

From Friday, Feb. 19, through Sunday, Feb. 21, the Boise State Women's Center will hold a benefit showing of The Vagina Monologues. Tickets are $7.50 for students or $12 for community members with 90 percent of the proceeds benefiting the Sexual Assault Education and Outreach Programs at Boise State and the other 10 percent going to the Global V-Day fund, which will help support women in the Congo this year. Snatch some tickets up while you still can.

Friday, Feb. 19, and Saturday, Feb. 20, 8 p.m., Sunday, Feb. 21, 2 p.m., $7.50 students, $12 adults, Boise State Special Events Center, 1910 University Drive, 208-426-4259, womens-center.boisestate.edu.

Add a comment

Note: Comments are limited to 200 words.