Generally when these amalgamated Home Sweet Home columns show up between single-home profiles from time to time, we slice off the top five most expensive and top five least expensive homes for sale in Boise. This week, we thought we'd head straight for the middle.
What we found hovering in the middle of the stack were 41 homes priced at $249,900. The collection is surprisingly diverse in terms of age and size, from a house featured in BW several weeks ago built in 1898 to a few that are brand-spanking new this year. They range from two bedrooms to six, are located in almost every section of town, and sprawl out as much as 3,234 square feet or squeeze into a compact 1,272 square feet. Truly, the only thing each of them have in common is the price tag.
Here's a few we found notable:
(1) This 1969 Bench ranch-style house is snow white inside and out. White walls, white brick, white fixtures, white ceiling fans, a white overhang in the back yard. New owners will either want to deliver a healthy dose of color in this five-bedroom, two-bath home, or they'll want to go with it. A monochromatic color scheme—complete with all white furniture and linens—could be very retro cool. (MLS# 98343062)
(2) This two-bedroom, two-bath home in the North End is condo-esque without all the fees and dues. Khaki stucco with black accents on this boxy home lend it a mod look that without a little warming up will only look severely austere. It's an itty bitty 1,416 square feet with bamboo floors, stainless steel appliances and xeriscaping that will ease the dent a water bill puts on your pocketbook in the summertime. (MLS# 98351539)
(3) If an old house without all the remodel work is on your list of possibilities, you'll find a couple of prospects at $249,900. This 1940 three-bedroom, three-bath house on the Bench is a complete remodel from the furnace to the fixtures. You name it, it's new in this house. Gleaming hardwood floors, fresh paint and a mature yard are all here. (MLS# 98355283)
(4) In northeast Boise, you'll find a similar deal: old house, complete remodel. Two bedrooms, two baths, a kitchen that defies its age and lots of windows are the basics. On the small lot, the 1,272-square-foot house with a large wood deck means very little grass to worry about. (MLS# 98358423)
(5) On the complete other end of the spectrum, there's a brand new house, plenty of work to be done. You could be the first tenant in this three-bedroom, two-bath house in south Boise, and if you were inclined to tinker, this thing could be a five-bedroom, three-bath house. It has all the usual amenities of a new house, including a sprinkler system, central air and an oversized HVAC in anticipation that the new owners will expand the living space into the unfinished walk-out basement. (MLS# 98356713)
(6) Here's an odd one from the '70s. Located in southeast Boise, the minimal curb appeal and one halfway updated bath are the only assets this house has going for it. It's slightly more than 2,000 square feet of mostly unremarkable space. Good thing if you're up for some remodeling, bad thing if you're into something with at least a glimmer of personality. For some lucky buyer, however, this house will be the OK choice in the perfect location. (MLS# 98347712)