On April 28, members of the Idaho Press Club gathered for our annual awards ceremony, when we set aside (most of) our rivalries, have a few cocktails and recognize our colleagues for their work over the last year. Congratulations to everyone who earned recognition, but I have limited space and plenty on which to congratulate the Boise Weekly editorial staff.
In the all-state, all-media competitions, BW took home First Place for Website General Excellence for boiseweekly.com, First Place for Best Use of Social Media (making that a hat trick) and Third Place for Best Multi-Media Reporting. New Media Czar Josh Gross won Third Place for Best Online Only Program for his video series "Scenes from a Scene."
In the weekly newspaper category, BW won awards for:
• General News Story: First Place, George Prentice for "No Sale"
• Light Feature Report: First Place, Rachael Daigle, Deanna Darr and Adam Rosenlund for "Red Potatoes"
• Watchdog/Investigative Report: First Place, George Prentice for "Got Milk? Got Drugs? Got Both?"
• Specialty Column: First Place, George Prentice
• Environmental Reporting: First Place, Deanna Darr for "Unwelcome Invaders"
• Series: First Place, Guy Hand for "Year of Idaho Food"
• Graphics: First Place, Adam Rosenlund for "By the Numbers"
• Political Reporting: First Place, Zach Hagadone for "The Right (Wing) Stuff"
• Special Section or Publication: Second Place for Boise Weekly's Annual Manual
• Outdoor Feature: Third Place, Randy King for "Bow-ing to the Lowly Carp"
• General Excellence: Third Place
• 2011 Rookie of the Year: Sheree Whiteley
Thanks, team. I'm proud to have such hardworking and talented folks putting out Boise Weekly every day.