Lewiston Police reported that they had been contacted 260 times in 2014 regarding incidents at the facility which is home to approximately 65 children and teens. The minors have suffered from the worst kinds of neglect or abuse and are struggling with a myriad of diagnoses, including abandonment, trust and anger.
In early April the Department of Health and Welfare put a lid on any new admissions following an inspection at the facility. Officials then said they would require weekly progress updates until they reassessed the operations.
And now, this morning's Lewiston Tribune reports that the IDHW has approved a plan of correction, leading the department to lift the ban on admissions May 21.
"Basically, they were satisfied with what they found," Clete Ryan, the home's acting executive director who took over the top job earlier this month, told the Tribune. "They let us continue operations as normal."
State officials told the Tribune that the admission ban at the Northwest Children's Home was the first-of-its-kind imposed this year and than any bans at state-licensed children's homes "are rare, with just one last year at another (Idaho) facility."