by Tara Morgan
Heads up, artsy thrift store junkies and flesh fetishists: Two important group show submission deadlines are looming on the horizon.
The first is for Grant Olsen’s “Capture the Magic,” which opens at Bricolage on Friday, Nov. 12, and runs through the first week in January. Olsen is seeking submissions of unique, handmade thrift store treasures that might be lying around your house.
“The work I'm thinking of is the kind of work that is maybe lacking in technical skill, but has some incredible quality, be it subject matter, composition, color choice or just some un-nameable emotional thing that makes it spectacular,” Olsen elaborated in his press release.
Here are the stipulations: All art must come from a thrift store and can’t be altered from its original state, beyond simple repairs. All mediums are accepted, including paint-by-numbers, photos, embroidery and sculpture.
Here are the submission requirements:
1. Submit up to five jpg images of your finds.
2. Include an image list with information known about the piece (size, media, artist/date.)
3. Include a price if you want to sell the work or note that you don’t want it sold. You can also donate the work to the raffle or list it in the silent auction. You will receive 80 percent of the sale price.
4. Submissions must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, Nov. 2.
If boobies are more your bag, the Visual Arts Collective has extended the deadline to Sunday, Oct. 31, for their national juried exhibition, “Dollar a Page-Erotica.”
Emerging and established artists nationwide are encouraged to submit work on the following themes: clandestine, elusive, mysterious, implied, underground and obscure erotica. Each piece submitted will be reviewed by jurors Francis Fox, Molly Hill, Rachel Reese and Flint Weisser.
Here are the (lengthy) submission requirements:
1. All accepted work must be original and created within the past two years
2. Artwork will be juried by digital images submitted via email (no Powerpoint).
3. Image files must be 72 dpi in jpg format. Image dimensions must be 1024 pixels horizontal maximum, 768 pixels vertical maximum and the file size must not exceed 1 MB.
4. Video entries are limited to three minutes and must include the URL where the clip is hosted.
5. Work cannot exceed 96 inches in height and width combined and cannot exceed 100 pounds in weight.
6. Accepted artwork must be exhibition-ready and delivered on or before Friday, Nov. 26.
7. Each artist may enter up to three works, with a $25 submission fee, and a maximum total of 12 digital files.
8. Up to six additional images may be submitted with an additional submission fee of $10 per image.
9. Incomplete submissions will be rejected.
10. Shipping to the gallery is at the artist's expense; unsold work will be returned at the expense of Visual Arts Collective.
11. All work must be available for sale and VAC will retain a 40 percent commission.
The exhibit will include an awards reception on Friday, Dec. 3, at which prizes will be awarded for Best of Show ($150), People’s Choice ($75) and Merit Award ($75).
To view the complete prospectus and submit work, click here.